Sunday, November 15, 2009

Becoming a Soccer Star

I wouldn't call myself athletic. Actually, a lot of people wouldn't call me athletic. Especially my old P.E. teachers. I like to picture one in particular, and what his face would look like if he saw me now.

Recently, my company's soccer team desperately needed more female players. I was asked and of course I said yes.

Here's the problem: I've seen a few Sounders games, but I barely grasp the basic rules of the sport.

Do I know how to say "no?" Probably not. Some may consider this a character flaw - but not me. Because I say yes, I've tried a lot of exciting and different things I never would have done on my own.

Over the years, I have learned that I go through five stages after saying "yes." The first stage is excitement. I think to myself that this may be my true calling. Maybe I could have a hidden talent for soccer. I could be to the soccer world what Tiger Woods is to the golf world. But then I actually start thinking about what I've agreed to do.

Stage two begins when the dread sets in. "What was I thinking? I'm going to get hit in the face with a soccer ball!!"

The purchasing phase comes next, it's somewhat similar to negotiating. "I may know nothing about soccer, but I bet buying shin guards and a pair of soccer socks will help somehow." (This is explains why I own barely used wood carving tools, tap dancing shoes, knitting needles and boxes full of other dabblings.)

The fourth stage is panic. This generally takes place right before the event and on the drive there. "How are socks supposed to make me play better?!"

The final phase is acceptance. This generally doesn't happen until I've started or possibly even after whatever I said yes to has taken place.

Anyway, back to becoming the next Brandy Chastain (she's a famous soccer player, right?) ... I showed up to the game (fully in panic phase) knowing little more than not to touch the ball with my hands. I also realized the field looks a lot bigger when you're standing on it as opposed to sitting in a seat looking down on it.

Lucky for me, I wasn't the only person playing for the first time. And even luckier, I'm pretty decent at doing what I'm told. I played defense and ran around a lot. I can't say I fully understood what was happening, but I did know when to run, put on the pressure, kick the ball and act as a human shield (not willingly of course).

We didn't win the game but I did have a lot of fun. And as an embarrassing side note, when the game was over the guy I had been guarding said "Good game." I, in my naivety, thought he geniunely believed I played well, so I thanked him and then he gave me a weird look. Anyway, I now know that's what everyone says to players on the other team after the game. Duh.

Would I play soccer again? Yes! And I have, we won our last two games!

I also said yes to playing on the winter team ... maybe I should buy some active winter wear ... and cleats!

3 comments:

Mil said...

word carving tools?? how on earth did I never hear about those?!

on another note: I'm very proud of how you've stuck with soccer! suck it, tap dancing!

Unknown said...

not word carving, wood carving! that one was pretty short lived. i thought i could make stuff like they have at fireworks (the tables, you know?).

Mil said...

haha, word carving. my bad. you know what I meant!

also, it's really annoying having to do the word verification thing every time I comment (which I imagine will be a lot). can't you get rid of it?? I promise I'm not a robot! though if a robot was reading this and wanted to comment on it, wouldn't you want him to be able to? YES.