Sunday, November 15, 2009

Running a 5K Obstacle Course


Standing at the start line with my three teammates, my heart pounding, I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into again, when I realized I didn't even know how many miles were in a 5K. What had I agreed to?? I asked one of my teammates how many miles a 5K was and just as we started running she replied, "Only 3.1 miles."

Only 3.1 miles. Phew. Or not. I haven't run 3.1 miles since...maybe ever. At least not straight. I'm more of a walker, always have been, always will be. I don't even run to catch the bus (not anymore, after a few unfortunate instances in high heels). But to my teammates - marathon runners - this was nothing.

How did I end up at the starting line of a 5K obstacle course (did I mention I ran AND did obstacles?!?)? The company I work for has some very active employees. They run marathons, triathalons, compete in cyclocrosses and all sorts of other feats of endurance and physical strength. At our last staff meeting, someone mentioned the Winter Pineapple Classic. A fun, obstacle course filled 5K that raises money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Everyone who participated last year had a great time.

I can do this, I thought to myself. How hard can a 5K obstacle course be? Forget the minor details that I don't run, climb over walls, play on monkey bars or jump hurdles. So I signed up.

And then there I was, running with my teammates to our first obstacle. I jumped over hurdles (somewhat haphazardly), climbed over hay stacks, crossed the monkey bars, climbed over a 5 foot wall, pulled myself up a rope ladder, mounted a ten foot wall, army crawled through mud and eventually crossed the finish line. All in about 40 minutes. Not bad.

The first thing my mom asked was "Did you finish?" Of course I finished. I had teammates relying on me. Did I want to stop before the finish line? YES. I was hoping, praying that someone would stop running and start walking so I could too. When I saw I had to army crawl through mud, I hesitated. But I sucked it up and pushed through.

Will I run again? Maybe, but not for awhile. I hurt everywhere. I make old person noises when I sit down, stand up and bend over. I also have some gruesome bruises on my legs.

2 comments:

Mil said...

I'm still in awe of you for this one. army crawls through the mud? you are a total badass.

are your bruises as bad as my horseback riding ones? let's see some pictures! ;)

Unknown said...

no bruises are as bad as your horseback riding ones! they're smaller, but colorful.